This whale board with 4 carved wooden whales, though lacking his usual identification, is reliably attributed to George Grant of Nantucket.
It bears all the characteristics of his carvings, and ranks among the best examples of his work. The whales; sperm, hump back, fin back and right are larger than most of his similar carvings and are identified, characteristically, with typewritten labels. They are mounted on masonite and framed in a simple black frame. The whales have tack eyes and are about 12 to 12 1/2 inches long. Paint is original and condition is excellent. Oa. 26 in. x 16 1/2 in. A most desirable Nantucket folk art object by a most desirable maker.
George Grant (1857-1942). was the son of whaling captain Charles Grant of Nantucket, and was himself a whaleman. He was the first “custodian” of the Nantucket Whaling Museum from its opening in 1930 until his death in 1942, and is credited with setting up the original whaling exhibit there. In addition to small carvings and whaleboards which were sold at the museum, he created the original whaling diorama which for years adorned the outside of the old Whaling Museum. His works are in the collection of the NHA as well as in private collections.